Member Associations | 14 Sep 2021
STAMATOUROS is the new Greek champion in men's singles, 4th title for TOLIOU in the Women's
George STAMATOUROS and Katerina TOLIOU are the Greek champions for the 2020-2021 season. The 22-year-old player of Olympiacos won his first national title in this event and reached the new milestone in his career. In the spectacular final, he beat Giorgos KONSTANTINOPOULOS of Panathinaikos 4-3 after he recovered from the 1-3 back.
The 26-year-old girl of Panathinaikos justified her status as the 1st favorite and reached the first place for the 4th time (2015, 2018, 2019 the previous ones). In the final, TOLIOU overcame her teammate in Panathinaikos Elisabeth TERPOU with games.
The winners in singles left the table tennis hall of the Peace and Friendship Stadium with two titles. STAMATOUROS also won the men's doubles with his Olympic teammate Tasos RINIOTIS. TOLIOU and Konstantina PARIDI of Olympiakos kept the scepter, which they have in the women's doubles since 2019.
In the men's singles, the doubles in the final created interest on its own, as the right-hander George STAMATOUROS reached this point for the first time and the left-hander George KONSTANTINOPOULOS second (after 2015). The player of Panathinaikos passed his game initially and managed with 3-1 sets to lay the foundations for the victory. STAMATOUROS, however, did not lose positive thinking and self-concentration, he increased his performance and created the big upset. He added this title in the men's singles Under 21 two years before (7-11, 10-12, 11-7, 7-11, 11-8, 11-6 and 11-7).
In the women's singles, Katerina TOLIOU (number 1 on the table) and Elisabeth TERPOU (No. 3) met for the first time in a final. Close and spectacular match inspired TOLIOU to use good tactics in the critical points; champion prevailed in six games and clinched the title again after two years. The match lasted almost an hour and had a forced stop at the end of the 5th set. TERPOU felt discomfort in her left leg, took the medical timeout and returned after 7-8 minutes with a bandage. She was able to make a new big effort in the 6th game, but she missed some critical rally nails (8-11, 11-9, 11-9, 7-11, 11-8 and 11-7).
- George STAMATOUROS (Olympiakos SFP)
- George KONSTANTINOPOULOS (Panathinaikos AO)
- Nikos ANTONIADIS (OA Chania)
-. Konstantinos KONSTANTINOPOULOS (Panathinaikos AO)
- Katerina TOLIOU (Panathinaikos AO)
- Elisabeth TERPOU (Panathinaikos AO)
- Malamatenia PAPADIMITRIOU (GAO Piraeus)
-. Konstantina PARIDI (Olympiakos SFP)
- Tassos RINIOTIS / George STAMATOUROS (Olympiakos SFP)
- Konstantinos KONSTANTINOPOULOS / George KONSTANTINOPOULOS (Panathinaikos AO)
- Dimitris KORDOUTIS / Stratos DAMIANIS (AS Pera Athens)
-. Dimitris PAPADIMITRIOU / Nikos ANTONIADIS (AO Tatavla / OA Chania)
- Katerina TOLIOU / Konstantina PARIDI (Panathinaikos AO / Olympiakos SFP)
- Malamatenia PAPADIMITRIOU / Aliki KIOUFI (GAO Piraeus / Olympiakos SFP)
- Elisavet TERPOU / Ioanna GERASIMATOU (Panathinaikos AO)
-. Olga GEORGOPOULOU / Dimitra TSEKOURA (AS Pera Athens)